Reverse Nesting CMS Collections in Webflow - Is It Possible?

Hi everyone,

I have a question about CMS Collections in Webflow and how they can be nested. Currently, I know that Webflow allows CMS Collections to be nested when the parent references the child, and this can also be achieved using the Finsweet Attribute Nest.

However, I’m wondering if it’s possible to do it the other way around. Can CMS Collections be nested when the child collection references the parent?

To illustrate this with an example:
I want to create an FAQ section with different categories. I have set up CMS Collections for both the categories and the questions. Each question is assigned a category, so each question has a reference field pointing to the corresponding category.

In the FAQ section, I want the questions to be grouped by their respective categories. Therefore, the parent collection should be the categories, and these should then contain the child collection questions.

Is there a way to achieve this reverse nesting? Any guidance or tips would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Hey @juicydisorder!

This could be achieved by changing the CMS Structure to add the questions to the multireference field of the category item instead of the other way around.

I am afraid there is no other way to reverse nest :confused:

Hey @Support-Luis,

Thanks for the quick response!

I’m familiar with using the multireference field. I was hoping there might be a more ideal solution, since it would be easier for my clients to add a new question to their Webflow project the other way around.

It would be great if the process could be as intuitive and straightforward as possible for my clients.

Too bad, it isn’t. :sweat_smile: But with a load of luck, Webflow might just announce such a feature tomorrow. I could ask the Webflow AI Learning Assistant :smiley:

1 Like

I could definitely use this as well. Would be super helpful

1 Like